TED英语演讲课
给心灵放个假吧
演讲题目:How to ask for help -- and get a "yes"
演讲简介:
寻求帮助很难。但在这一生里,你必须学会这样做。那么,你怎样才能坦然地开口呢?在这篇演讲中,社会心理学家海蒂·格兰特分享了寻求帮助和获得帮助的四个简单规则,同时也让帮助你的人在这个过程中获得更多回报。
中英文字幕
So research that I and some of my colleagues have done has shed a lot of light on why it is that sometimes people say yes to our requests for help and why sometimes they say no.
我和我同事做的一些研究对人们为什么有时会伸出援手,有时候则不,提供了一些解释。
Now let me just start by saying right now: if you need help, you are going to have to ask for it.
现在让我们进入主题:如果我们需要帮助,我们就得开口。
Out loud. OK?
大声说出来。可以吗?
We all, to some extent, suffer from something that psychologists call "the illusion of transparency" --
我们在某种程度上都有心理学家常说的“透明度错觉”——
basically, the mistaken belief that our thoughts and our feelings and our needs are really obvious to other people.
这指的是我们认为自己的思想、感觉和需求对他人而言很明显。
This is not true, but we believe it.
事实并非如此,但我们相信这点。
And so, we just mostly stand around waiting for someone to notice our needs and then spontaneously offer to help us with it.
所以我们只是干等在那儿,等待有人注意到我们的需求,然后主动提出帮助我们。
This is a really, really bad assumption.
这是一个非常非常糟糕的假设。
In fact, not only is it very difficult to tell what your needs are,
事实上,不仅很难判断你的需求是什么,
but even the people close to you often struggle to understand how they can support you.
即使我们身边的人也往往琢磨不透应该如何帮助我们。
My partner has actually had to adopt a habit of asking me multiple times a day, "Are you OK?
我的伴侣不得不养成一个习惯,每天问我很多次,“你还好吗?
Do you need anything?"
你需要什么吗?”
because I am so, so bad at signaling when I need someone's help.
因为在需要帮助时,我太不擅长发出信号。
Now, he is more patient than I deserve and much more proactive, much more,
现在,他给予了我更多耐心,更积极主动,更乐于助人,
about helping than any of us have any right to expect other people to be.
我们通常没有权利要求别人这样对我们。
So if you need help, you're going to have to ask for it.
所以如果我们需要帮助,就必须开口。
And by the way, even when someone can tell that you need help, how do they know that you want it?
另外,即便有人看出来我们需要帮助,他们怎么知道我们需要什么?
Did you ever try to give unsolicited help to someone who, it turns out, did not actually want your help in the first place?
大家有没有试过主动帮助别人,结果人家根本就不想让你帮?
They get nasty real quick, don't they?
他们很快就会厌恶,对吧?
The other day -- true story -- my teenage daughter was getting dressed for school,
这是个真实的故事——前些天,我十几岁的女儿穿好衣服准备上学,
and I decided to give her some unsolicited help about that.
我决定自发地给她一些帮助。
I happen to think she looks amazing in brighter colors.
我碰巧觉得她穿亮色衣服好看。
She tends to prefer sort of darker, more neutral tones.
但她通常喜欢偏深、中性的色调。
And so I said, very helpfully, that I thought maybe she could go back upstairs and try to find something a little less somber.
于是我试着说,也许她可以回到楼上,试着找件颜色不那么阴沉的衣服穿。
So, if looks could kill, I would not be standing here right now.
如果眼神能杀人的话,我现在就不会站在这里了。
We really can't blame other people for not just spontaneously offering to help us when we don't actually know that that's what is wanted.
我们不能责怪别人不主动帮助我们,特别是当对方不知道我们需要什么时。
In fact, actually,
事实上,
research shows that 90 percent of the help that coworkers give one another in the workplace is in response to explicit requests for help.
研究显示工作时同事之间百分之九十的帮助是响应明确的求助请求的。
So you're going to have to say the words "I need your help."
所以我们得说:“我需要你的帮助”。
Right? There's no getting around it.
对吗?这是无法回避的。
Now, to be good at it, to make sure that people actually do help you when you ask for it,
想要做好它,确保当我们寻求帮助时,人们会帮我们,
there are a few other things that are very helpful to keep in mind.
请记住一些非常有用的做法。
First thing: when you ask for help, be very, very specific about the help you want and why.
第一点:当我们求助时,一定要准确地阐述我们要的帮助和原因。
Vague, sort of indirect requests for help actually aren't very helpful to the helper, right?
含糊的、间接的求助实际上对帮助者没有多大帮助,对吗?
We don't actually know what it is you want from us,
他们的确不知道我们想得到的帮助是什么,
and, just as important, we don't know whether or not we can be successful in giving you the help.
同样重要的是,他们不知道是否能够成功帮助我们。
Nobody wants to give bad help.
没人想帮倒忙。
Like me, you probably get some of these requests from perfectly pleasant strangers on LinkedIn who want to do things like "get together over coffee and connect"
大家或许像我一样,在领英收到过来自非常友好的陌生人的邀请,这些人想做一些“喝杯咖啡、聊个天”
or "pick your brain."
或“向你请教一下”之类的事情。
I ignore these requests literally every time.
我每次都忽略这些请求。
And it's not that I'm not a nice person.
这并不是因为我不够友好。
It's just that when I don't know what it is you want from me, like the kind of help you're hoping that can I provide, I'm not interested.
只是我不知道他们想从我这里得到什么,以及希望我能提供哪种帮助,我就不感兴趣。
Nobody is.
没人会有兴趣。
I'd have been much more interested if they had just come out and said whatever it is was they were hoping to get from me,
如果他们能直接说出任何他们想从我这里获得的帮助,我就会更有兴趣,
because I'm pretty sure they had something specific in mind.
因为我很肯定他们有些具体的想法。
So go ahead and say, "I'm hoping to discuss opportunities to work in your company,"
所以,你可以说,“我想和你谈谈贵司有没有工作机会。”
or, "I'd like to propose a joint research project in an area I know you're interested in,"
或“我想和你谈谈一个联合研究项目,你对这个领域一定会非常感兴趣。”
or, "I'd like your advice on getting into medical school."
或者,“我想听听你对读医学院的建议。”
Technically, I can't help you with that last one because I'm not that kind of doctor,
说实话,我不能帮助解决最后一个问题,因为我不是医生,
but I could point you in the direction of someone who could.
但我可以指明谁可以提供帮助。
OK, second tip.
好了,第二个技巧。
This is really important: please avoid disclaimers, apologies and bribes.
这点真的很重要:请不要用免责声明,道歉和贿赂。
Really, really important.
真的,这非常重要。
Do any of these sound familiar?
这些听起来耳熟吗?
'I'm so, so sorry that I have to ask you for this."
“我非常、非常抱歉要向你请教一件事情。”
"I really hate bothering you with this."
“我真的非常不想麻烦你。”
"If I had any way of doing this without your help, I would."
“如果没有你能做成这事的话,我一定会的。”
Sometimes it feels like people are so eager to prove that they're not weak and greedy when they ask your for help,
有时候这让人感觉,他们是如此渴望去证明他们寻求帮助时,不是因为软弱和贪婪,
they're completely missing out on how uncomfortable they're making you feel.
但他们完全忽视了这样做会让我们感到不舒服。
And by the way -- how am I supposed to find it satisfying to help you if you really hated having to ask me for help?
顺便问一句,如果他们讨厌求助我,我怎会觉得帮助他们是让我感到满足的事呢?
And while it is perfectly, perfectly acceptable to pay strangers to do things for you,
虽然付费给陌生人帮我们做事情是完全可以接受的,
you need to be very, very careful when it comes to incentivizing your friends and coworkers.
当涉及到激励我们的朋友和同事时,我们要非常小心。
When you have a relationship with someone, helping one another is actually a natural part of that relationship.
如果我们跟某人关系很好,彼此帮助就是那段关系很自然的部分。
It's how we show one another that we care.
这是我们互相表达关心对方的方式。
If you introduce incentives or payments into that, what can happen is, it starts to feel like it isn't a relationship, it's a transaction.
如果我们在这种关系中加入激励或者付费,会让人觉得这不是段关系,而是个交易。
And that actually is experienced as distancing, which, ironically, makes people less likely to help you.
这其实会让人产生一种距离感,更讽刺的事,这反而会让人更不愿意帮助我们。
So a spontaneous gift after someone gives you some help to show your appreciation and gratitude -- perfectly fine.
所以,在别人帮助我们后,我们可以用更淳朴的礼物来表达感激之情——这样做就很好。
An offer to pay your best friend to help you move into your new apartment is not.
付钱给帮我们乔迁新居的朋友就不是好做法。
OK, third rule, and I really mean this one: please do not ask for help over email or text.
第三点,我想说的是:请不要通过邮件或者短信请求帮助。
Really, seriously, please don't.
我是认真的,请不要那样做。
Email and text are impersonal.
邮件和短信很不正式。
I realize sometimes there's no alternative, but mostly what happens is,
我知道有时候没得选,但多数情况下,
we like to ask for help over email and text because it feels less awkward for us to do so.
我们喜欢通过邮件或短信求助,是因为这样做我们不会感到那么尴尬。
You know what else feels less awkward over email and text?
有什么比用邮件和短信求助更尴尬的吗?
Telling you no.
没有。
And it turns out, there's research to support this.
事实上,有研究支持这个观点。
In-person requests for help are 30 times more likely to get a yes than a request made by email.
当面请求得到帮助的可能性比发邮件高30倍。
So when something is really important and you really need someone's help,
所以当一件事真的很重要,我们需要他人的帮助时,
make face time to make the request, or use your phone as a phone -- to ask for the help that you need.
当面提出这个请求,或者只用手机通过打电话——去寻求我们需要的帮助。
OK.
好了。
Last one, and this is actually a really, really important one and probably the one that is most overlooked when it comes to asking for help:
最后一点也非常重要,它可能是寻求帮助时最容易被忽视的一点:
when you ask someone for their help and they say yes, follow up with them afterward.
当我们寻求别人的帮助并得到肯定回答时,事后与他们保持联系。
There's a common misconception that what's rewarding about helping is the act of helping itself.
人们普遍有种误解,认为帮助别人的回报在于帮助本身。
This is not true.
事实并非如此。
What is rewarding about helping is knowing that your help landed, that it had impact, that you were effective.
帮助的回报是知道你的帮助落实了,它产生了影响,你的帮忙是有效的。
If I have no idea how my help affected you, how am I supposed to feel about it?
如果我根本不知道我的帮助如何影响你,我对这帮助会有何感想?
This happened.
这种事情发生过。
I was a university professor for many years.
我当了很多年的大学教授。
I wrote lots and lots of letters of recommendation for people to get jobs or to go into graduate school.
我写了很多的推荐信,帮学生找工作或申请研究生院。
And probably about 95 percent of them, I have no idea what happened.
其中有大约95%我都不知道之后发生了什么。
Now, how do I feel about the time and effort I took to do that, when I really have no idea if I helped you,
当我不知道我是否帮助了你,是否帮助你得到你想要的东西时,
if it actually helped you get the thing that you wanted?
我该如何看待我花在这件事上的时间和精力?
In fact, this idea of feeling effective is part of why certain kinds of donor appeals are so, so persuasive --
事实上,这种感觉有效的想法是某些捐助的呼吁如此有说服力的原因,
because they allow you to really vividly imagine the effect that your help is going to have.
因为它们能让我们生动地想象我们的帮助将产生的效果。
Take something like DonorsChoose.
以DonorsChoose为例。
You go online, you can choose the individual teacher by name whose classroom you're going to be able to help by literally buying the specific items they've requested,
我们在网上选择我们想给予帮助的教室的老师的名字,为他们购买他们请求的特定商品,
like microscopes or laptops or flexible seating.
比如显微镜、笔记本电脑和可调节高度的座椅。
An appeal like that makes it so easy for me to imagine the good that my money will do,
这就让我很容易想象我的钱将会起到的作用,
that I actually get an immediate sense of effectiveness the minute I commit to giving.
在我做出捐赠的那一刻,就感觉有一种立竿见影的效果。
But you know what else they do?
但你知道他们还会做什么吗?
They follow up.
他们还会跟捐助者保持联系。
Donors actually get letters from the kids in the classroom.
捐赠者会收到教室里学生的来信。
They get pictures.
他们会收到照片。
They get to know that they made a difference.
他们知道他们对别人产生了影响。
And this is something we need to all be doing in our everyday lives, especially if we want people to continue to give us help over the long term.
这是我们在生活中都应该做的事情,尤其当我们想要人们长期帮助我们时。
Take time to tell your colleague that the help that they gave you really helped you land that big sale,
花时间告诉我们的同事,他们给予的帮助帮助我们谈成了那笔大买卖,
or helped you get that interview that you were really hoping to get.
或帮助我们得到了很想要的面试机会。
Take time to tell your partner that the support they gave you really made it possible for you to get through a tough time.
花时间告诉我们的伴侣,他们给予的帮助帮助我们度过了艰难的时光。
Take time to tell your catsitter that you're super happy that for some reason, this time the cats didn't break anything while you were away,
花点时间告诉帮助你照顾猫的人,我们很高兴,因为这次我们不在的时候,猫没有打坏任何东西,
and so they must have done a really good job.
他们做得棒极了。
The bottom line is: I know -- believe me, I know -- that it is not easy to ask for help.
归根结底:相信我——我知道——寻求帮助并不容易。
We are all a little bit afraid to do it.
我们都有点害怕这样做。
It makes us feel vulnerable.
这让我们感到脆弱。
But the reality of modern work and modern life is that nobody does it alone.
但现代的工作和生活不是我们可以独自应对的。
Nobody succeeds in a vacuum.
没人能独自成功。
More than ever, we actually do have to rely on other people, on their support and collaboration, in order to be successful.
事实上,我们比以往更需要依靠他人,有了他们的支持和配合,我们才能成功。
So when you need help, ask for it out loud.
所以需要帮助时,大声说出来。
And when you do, do it in a way that increases your chances that you'll get a yes and makes the other person feel awesome for having helped you,
用可以更大概率得到肯定回答的方法去做,另外,确保他人因为帮助我们而感到快乐,
because you both deserve it.
因为这是帮助者应得的。
Thank you.
谢谢。
视频、演讲稿均来源于TED官网