TED英语演讲课
给心灵放个假吧
演讲题目:How augmented reality will change sports ... and build empathy
演讲简介:
克里斯·柯鲁威将展望体育运动的未来,并思考科技能为球员、教练还有粉丝带来怎样的改变。作为前美国国家橄榄球联盟的弃踢手,克里斯想像在未来利用扩增实境技术让人们身临其境如在球场一般,也许还能帮助人类以一个全新的视角看待他人。
中英文字幕
What do augmented reality and professional football have to do with empathy?
扩增实境和职业橄榄球这二者和同理心有何关系?
And what is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
未负重的燕子飞行的空速是多少?
Now unfortunately, I'm only going to answer one of those questions today, so please, try and contain your disappointment.
遗憾的是,今天我只会回答其中一个问题,所以请不要感到沮丧。
When most people think about augmented reality, they think about "Minority Report" ,
当大多数人想到扩增实境时,他们会想到电影《少数派报告》,
and Tom Cruise waving his hands in the air, but augmented reality is not science fiction.
以及汤姆·克鲁斯在空中挥舞着双手的场景,但扩增实境并不是科幻小说。
Augmented reality is something that will happen in our lifetime, and it will happen because we have the tools to make it happen,
这项技术会在我们有生之年成为现实,因为我们有办法去实现它,
and people need to be aware of that, because augmented reality will change our lives just as much as the Internet and the cell phone.
大家需要意识到这点,扩增实境将改变我们的生活,如同互联网和手机那样。
Now how do we get to augmented reality?
那么我们怎么才能实现扩增实境呢?
Step one is the step I'm wearing right now, Google Glass.
首先就是戴上我现在戴的这个东西——谷歌眼镜。
I'm sure many of you are familiar with Google Glass.
相信在场有很多人都对它不陌生。
What you may not be familiar with is that Google Glass is a device that will allow you to see what I see.
但你可能并不知道,谷歌眼镜还可以让你看到我所看到的一切。
It will allow you to experience what it is like to be a professional athlete on the field.
它能让你体会到身为职业运动员在赛场上的感受。
Right now, the only way you can be on the field is for me to try and describe it to you.
而现在,要想体会这种感受的唯一方式就是听我去向你描述。
I have to use words.
我必须要借助语言。
I have to create a framework that you then fill in with your imagination.
我必须建立起一个框架,然后你运用想像力去充实它。
With Google Glass, we can put that underneath a helmet, and we can get a sense of what it's like to be running down the field at 100 miles an hour,
而有了谷歌眼镜,我们可以把它放在橄榄球头盔下,这样我们就能体会到以每小时100英里的速度在球场上奔跑的感受,
your blood pounding in your ears.
你能听到血液在耳中怦怦搏动的声音。
You can get a sense of what it's like to have a 250-pound man sprinting at you trying to decapitate you with every ounce of his being.
你还能体会到一个250磅重的人向你飞奔而来的感受,他竭尽全力要把你放倒。
And I've been on the receiving end of that, and it doesn't feel very good.
我就曾被放倒过,那感觉可不怎么样。
Now, I have some footage to show you of what it's like to wear Google Glass underneath the helmet to give you a taste of that.
下面这段视频将展示头盔下的谷歌眼镜所记录的片段,让你体验一把。
Unfortunately, it's not NFL practice footage because the NFL thinks emergent technology is what happens when a submarine surfaces,
遗憾的是,这并不是橄榄球联盟的训练视频,因为他们觉得新兴技术是在潜水艇浮出水时才会发生的事儿(NFL混淆了emerge和emergent两个词的意思)
but — (Laughter) — we do what we can.
但是——(笑声)——我们尽我们所能。
So let's pull up some video. Go.
让我们来看看这段视频,来了。
(Video) Chris Kluwe: Ugh, getting tackled sucks.
(视频)克里斯·柯鲁威:啊,被拦阻太不爽了。
Hold on, let's get a little closer.
稍等,等我走近点儿。
All right, ready? Go!
准备好了吗?走你!
Chris Kluwe: So as you can see, small taste of what it's like to get tackled on the football field from the perspective of the tacklee.
克瑞斯·柯鲁威:就像你看到的这段视频一样,从被拦阻者的角度来体验在球场上被拦阻的感受。
Now, you may have noticed there are some people missing there: the rest of the team.
现在你可能注意到球场上少了些什么人:少了球队的其他成员。
We have some video of that courtesy of the University of Washington.
还有段视频由华盛顿大学提供。
(Video) Quarterback: Hey, 54! Mice 54!
(视频)四分卫:嘿!54!Mice54!
Blue 8! Blue 8! Go! Oh!
蓝色球衣8号!蓝色球衣8号!走起!啊!
CK: So again, this takes you a little bit closer to what it's like to be on that field, but this is nowhere what it's like to be on the NFL.
克里斯·柯鲁威:这又让你更近距离地去体验在球场的感受,但这和橄榄球联盟比赛相比完全不是同一种感觉。
Fans want that experience.
粉丝想要体验身处那种比赛中的感觉。
Fans want to be on that field.
他们想要体会在球场上的感觉。
They want to be their favorite players, and they've already talked to me on YouTube, they've talked to me on Twitter, saying,
他们想要变身为他们最喜欢的球员,粉丝们已经在油管上和我谈起了这点,还在推特上跟我说起这事儿,
"Hey, can you get this on a quarterback?
“嗨,你能不能让一个四分卫戴上这眼镜?”
Can you get this on a running back?
“让跑卫也戴上它?”
We want that experience."
“我们也想感受一把。”
Well, once we have that experience with GoPro and Google Glass, how do we make it more immersive?
当我们有了GoPro摄像机和谷歌眼镜后,我们怎么才能提供更仿真式的体验呢?
How do we take that next step?
下一步该做些什么呢?
Well, we take that step by going to something called the Oculus Rift, which I'm sure many of you are also familiar with.
接下来就是利用头戴式显示器,相信你们大多数人对它也很熟悉。
The Oculus Rift has been described as one of the most realistic virtual reality devices ever created, and that is not empty hype.
头戴式显示器被称为目前制造出的效果最逼真的虚拟显示设备,这可不是什么天花乱坠的炒作。
I'm going to show you why that is not empty hype with this video.
接下来我将向你展示这为什么不是炒作,看看这段视频。
(Video) Man: Oh! Oh! Oh! No! No! No!
(视频)男人:哦!哦!哦!不!不!不!
I don't want to play it!
我不想再玩了!
No! Oh my God! Aaaah!
不!我的天啊!啊啊啊!
CK: So that is the experience of a man on a roller coaster in fear of his life.
克里斯·柯鲁威:这名男士在体会坐在过山车上的感受,担心自己快没命了。
What do you think that fan's experience is going to be when we take the video footage of an Adrian Peterson bursting through the line,
你觉得粉丝会有怎样的感觉——当他们看到这样的视频:阿德里安·彼得森冲过分码线,
shedding a tackler with a stiff-arm before sprinting in for a touchdown?
伸直手臂挡开来拦阻的人,然后飞奔至达阵区触地得分?
What do you think that fan's experience is going to be when he's Messi sprinting down the pitch putting the ball in the back of the net,
想想粉丝会有怎样的感受——当他变身梅西在球场上疾驰将球送入对方球门,
or Federer serving in Wimbledon?
或者变身费德勒在温布尔顿打球?
What do you think his experience is going to be when he is going down the side of a mountain at over 70 miles an hour as an Olympic downhill skier?
想像这样的场景:当一个人作为奥运会速降滑雪运动员会,从山的一侧以70多英里每小时的速度下降会是怎样的感受?
I think adult diaper sales may surge.
我估摸成人纸尿裤的销量可能会激增。
But this is not yet augmented reality.
但这还不是扩增实境技术。
This is only virtual reality, V.R.
这仅仅是虚拟现实(VR)。
How do we get to augmented reality, A.R.?
那么我们怎样才能做到扩增实境呢(AR)?
We get to augmented reality when coaches and managers and owners look at this information streaming in that people want to see, and they say,
只有当教练、经理和球队老板看到“大家都想去体验一把”的信息源源不断时,我们就会进入扩增实境,然后他们会问:
"How do we use this to make our teams better?
“怎么才能利用这项技术让我们的球队表现得更好?”
How do we use this to win games?"
“怎么利用它去赢得比赛?”
Because teams always use technology to win games.
球队总是靠科技获胜。
They like winning.
他们喜欢取胜。
It makes them money.
这会让他们赚到钱。
So a brief history of technology in the NFL.
简短地说几句橄榄球联盟使用科技的历史。
In 1965, the Baltimore Colts put a wristband on their quarterback to allow him to call plays quicker.
1965年,巴尔的摩小马队让他们的四分卫戴上腕带,这样他就能更快地发起进攻口令。
They ended up winning a Super Bowl that year.
那年他们最后获得了超级碗冠军。
Other teams followed suit.
其他球队也纷纷效仿。
More people watched the game because it was more exciting.
更多的人观看了这场比赛,因为它更精彩。
It was faster.
比赛节奏也变得更快了。
In 1994, the NFL put helmet radios into the helmets of the quarterbacks, and later the defense.
1994年,橄榄球联盟在四分卫的头盔里安装了无线电通讯器,随后给防守队员也装上了。
More people watched games because it was faster.
更多的人观看比赛,因为它节奏更快。
It was more entertaining.
更具娱乐性。
In 2023, imagine you're a player walking back to the huddle,
想像在2023年,身为球员的你走到球队集合点,
and you have your next play displayed right in front of your face on your clear plastic visor that you already wear right now.
看到下一次进攻的战术图显示在你眼前的头盔护面上,也就是现在球员戴的头盔护面。
No more having to worry about forgetting plays.
你不用再担心自己忘了战术。
No more worrying about having to memorize your playbook.
不用再担心去死背“兵书”。
You just go out and react.
你只需走上球场,开始行动就行。
And coaches really want this, because missed assignments lose you games, and coaches hate losing games.
教练们很想实现这点,因为不能成功地实施战术会导致输掉比赛,而教练讨厌输掉比赛。
Losing games gets you fired as a coach.
输了比赛,教练就得被炒鱿鱼。
They don't want that.
他们可不想被解雇。
But augmented reality is not just an enhanced playbook.
但扩增实境不仅仅能帮你在战术上有所提高。
Augmented reality is also a way to take all that data and use it in real time to enhance how you play the game.
它还能利用获得的所有数据进行实时分析,帮你打场更精彩的比赛。
What would that be like?
那会是什么样子?
Well, a very simple setup would be a camera on each corner of the stadium looking down, giving you a bird's-eye view of all the people down there.
一个很简单的方法就是在体育场的每个角都装上摄像机,这样你就能俯视全场,看到场内所有的人。
You also have information from helmet sensors and accelerometers, technology that's being worked on right now.
你还能从头盔传感器和加速度传感器获得信息,现在这些技术正处在研发之中。
You take all that information, and you stream it to your players.
你把获得的信息传给球员。
The good teams stream it in a way that the players can use.
优秀的球队知道该如何利用这些数据。
The bad ones have information overload.
而糟糕的球队则会面对信息负荷的问题。
That determines good teams from bad.
这就决定了一个球队的好坏。
And now, your I.T. department is just as important as your scouting department, and data-mining is not for nerds anymore.
那时,球队的信息技术部门就和负责物色球员的部门一样重要,数据挖掘再也不是电脑呆子才干的事儿。
It's also for jocks.
运动员也能去挖掘数据。
Who knew?
谁知道呢?
What would that look like on the field?
那在球场上又是怎样一番场景呢?
Well, imagine you're the quarterback.
想象一下你是四分卫。
You take the snap and you drop back.
你接到发球,然后向后撤。
You're scanning downfield for an open receiver.
你扫视前场,想要把球传给一个没人防守的接球员。
All of a sudden, a bright flash on the left side of your visor lets you know, blind side linebacker is blitzing in.
突然你的护面左边出现一道闪光,让你意识到无人防守的线卫正对你闪电突击。
Normally, you wouldn't be able to see him, but the augmented reality system lets you know.
通常情况下,你是看不到线卫的,但是扩增实境系统告诉了你。
You step up into the pocket.
你退到口袋区。
Another flash alerts you to an open receiver.
又一道闪光提醒你有个无人防守的接球员。
You throw the ball, but you're hit right as you throw.
你扔出球,但在发球的同时却被从右边来的人撞倒。
The ball comes off track.
球偏离了轨道。
You don't know where it's going to land.
你不知道它会落在哪里。
However, on the receiver's visor, he sees a patch of grass light up, and he knows to readjust.
不过在接球员的护面上,他看到一小片草地变亮了,他知道要重新调整路线。
He goes, catches the ball, sprints in, touchdown.
他跑到那里接到球,然后飞奔去触地得分。
Crowd goes wild, and the fans are with him every step of the way, watching from every perspective.
球场沸腾了,球员的每一步粉丝都可以身临其境去感受,从每一个角度去体会。
Now this is something that will create massive excitement in the game.
而这就能为比赛带来无穷的刺激。
It will make tons of people watch, because people want this experience.
它吸引无数人去观赛,因为大家想要体会那种感受。
Fans want to be on the field.
粉丝们想要身处球场之中。
They want to be their favorite player.
他们想要变身为他们最爱的球员。
Augmented reality will be a part of sports, because it's too profitable not to.
扩增实境将成为运动的一部分,因为它能带来太多的好处和利益。
But the question I ask you is, is that's all that we're content to use augmented reality for?
但我现在想要问你们,难道我们就满足于这样使用扩增实境吗?
Are we going to use it solely for our panem, our circenses, our entertainment as normal?
仅仅是为了赚钱赢得比赛,增强娱乐性?
Because I believe that we can use augmented reality for something more.
我认为我们可以利用它实现更多。
I believe we can use augmented reality as a way to foster more empathy within the human species itself,
我们能用它让人们对人类自己产生更多的同理心,
by literally showing someone what it looks like to walk a mile in another person's shoes.
让人们真真正正地体会到穿着别人的鞋走一英里的感受。
We know what this technology is worth to sports leagues.
我们都知道这项技术对于体育联盟的价值。
It's worth revenue, to the tune of billions of dollars a year.
它能带来每年数十亿美元的收入。
But what is this technology worth to a teacher in a classroom trying to show a bully just how harmful his actions are from the perspective of the victim?
但这项技术也对老师很有价值,她能告诉学校里的恶霸学生,站在被欺负人的角度去审视自己的行为造成多大的伤害。
What is this technology worth to a gay Ugandan or Russian trying to show the world what it's like living under persecution?
这项技术对于乌干达或俄罗斯的同性恋也有价值,它能让世界上其他人体会到被迫害的感受。
What is this technology worth to a Commander Hadfield or a Neil deGrasse Tyson trying to inspire a generation of children to think more about space and science instead of quarterly reports and Kardashians?
这项技术对于指挥官哈德菲尔德或奈尔·德葛拉司·泰森这样的人也有用,利用扩增实境启发下一代人,让孩子们去更多地思考太空、科学而不是季刊和卡戴珊。
Ladies and gentlemen, augmented reality is coming.
女士们先生们,扩增实境的时代就要来临。
The questions we ask, the choices we make, and the challenges we face are, as always, up to us.
我们提出的问题,做出的选择,面临的挑战全都取决于我们自己。
Thank you.
谢谢。
视频、演讲稿均来源于TED官网
●葡萄牙遭非洲黑马淘汰C罗泪别世界杯,法国总统和英国首相亲自赌球!